Friday, January 31, 2014

The Whisperer Speaks: Intriguing Aspects of Dragonfly Behavior

On Saturday, I had the pleasure of giving two dragonfly talks for the Sound Waters Conference.  Thanks so much for attending, and making it an enjoyable experience for all.

Here's a brief description of the talk I gave on dragonfly behavior:


My background, which is mainly in theoretical physics, is described below.  I've been studying dragonflies with increasing interest for the last 6 years or so.


Here's the handout for the dragonfly behavior talk.


After the talk, I was asked about the camera that was used to take the slow-motion videos.  They were taken with a simple point-and-shoot camera called the Casio EX-FH25, shown below.  I shoot the videos at 240 frames per second, which gives good time resolution for observing dragonfly behavior.


I was also asked about the Dragonfly Society of the Americas, and their scientific publication, Argia.  You can find more information about the DSA at the website for Odonata Central, as shown below.


The link to this page is


Here's an example of Argia, showing the first paper I published describing the spin-dry behavior of dragonflies:




No comments:

Post a Comment